Saturday, January 28, 2012

Adventurous

I braved the snow and (crazy!) wind today to participate in my third virtual run this month: Freeze Your Thorns Off 5K. I bundled up, put on my printable race bib, and headed out into the elements.

It was a beautiful day; it had just snowed earlier that morning so I headed out feeling great. Then, the wind hit. My nose was running faster than I was, my eyes were watering, and I couldn't catch my breath! But it came in spurts, so I was able to keep going and brace for the next gust of wind. When the wind wasn't blowing, the conditions were perfect! I was able to use my YakTrax that I got for Christmas, and I enjoyed the run. Here is what my race course looked like:


I crossed the finish line (in other words, my driveway) with a time of 26:40. Just about a minute over my 5K PR time - not bad for a snowy (windy!) winter run! I love the idea of a virtual run, and the race bib made it even more fun. Earlier this month I ran the Nike+ Women's Half Marathon (2:09:20) and the #TwitterRoadRace 5K (24:25 - but on a treadmill ... a little easier than an outside run!).


I am multi-tasking with this run today. Last week I took place in a football bet on the Giants vs. 49ers game (check out the rules here). I lost the bet, and had to run the difference in points of the final score of the game in miles, which was conveniently 3. I am not usually a football fan, but this sounded like fun and I was on the edge of my seat during the game. This bet is continuing into the Superbowl, and I am trying my luck again. I can't lose twice, can I?


I started a challenge with my two running buddies: to run every day for a year. Easier said than done! It was exciting at first, then it turned to annoying. But I think I have officially made it a habit, and it is becoming less of a pain than it was. Today's run marked day 83. That's almost 12 weeks straight! There are days when I go out grumbling, and days that don't make it over 1 mile, but no matter what, it gets done!


I am going to use this blog to share about my day to day running experiences, talk about any great (or not so great) races that I run, and to find out about other runners and races! Each day I will add something different that running helps me to do or become. Today, it was adventurous ... who knows what else running will do for me!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your run today! Your time was almost exactly the same as mine, looks like conditions were similar too!

    Welcome to blogging too, I'm excited to read about your upcoming races. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete